Here are a few questions that I believe might be of some value for every church planter to ponder and hopefully answer prior to beginning the glorious but arduous task of pioneering a new church. Those pastoring existing churches that might be frustrated with their members’ unwillingness to take God’s calling seriously might also benefit from considering these questions:
1. Does God’s Word give us a glimpse of where the future history of mankind is headed?
2. Is it possible that Rev 5:9 and 7:9 give us a partial picture of what a portion of mankind will be doing in the future?
3. Based on what the God of the bible has revealed about Himself at previous points in the past: )see Gen 12:3, 26:3, 28:14, Psalm 86:8-10, 96:3, 2 Chron 6:32, Isa 42:1-7, 49:5,6, Luke 2:10,14, Matt 8:11-13, 28:18-20, and Acts 1:8, along with dozens of other verses), should we be surprised by what is described in Rev. 5:9 and 7:9?
4. Would we be wrong to conclude that bringing Rev 5:9 and 7:9 into reality might be one of God’s priorities?
5. Is it possible it should be one of our priorities too?
6. Did Jesus ever intentionally challenge His naturally SELF-focused followers to view things from the perspective of the bigger work that God is going to do? (Luke 10:2 John 4:35)
7. Does it take any effort on the part of a church leader to convince the members of his church to be concerned about themselves or the people in their inner circle of family and friends?
8. At what point did Jesus introduce His first followers to the idea that their following Him, their relationship with Him was for God’s larger purposes and interests, not their own? (Matt 4:19)
9. Did Paul see any value in helping a local church to understand that what he was called to and what God has done in and for them is a part of something larger that He is doing globally? (Rom 1:5 Col 1:6)
Based on the questions and the probable answers to these questions, what priority should God’s global purposes and one of His “end game” plans have in the vision and actual ministry of a local church from it’s inception forward?